Thursday, September 4, 2014

#59 Empty Shelf Challenge 06 [101 in 1001]

BookHaving a Mary Heart in a Martha World .

Author: Joanna Weaver

Info: Copyright 2000 (2003 Large Print edition by Thorndike Press) 

Where acquired: Checked out of public library.

Availability: amazon.com 

Why:  The balance between fellowship with God and service for God to others can be thrown off quite easily in this fast-paced society.  Pressures to do and be all that others wanted were choking out my desire to bask in the Savior's presence and wait on His direction.  My hope was that this book would help me change that.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 hashtags):  # # # #

What it's about:  The author uses the New Testament account of two sisters, Martha and Mary, as a representation of the dichotomy many women face between worshiping God and service for God (men do too, but this book was aimed at women).  She attempts to bring life back into balance by showing the reader that if worship comes first, more effective service will follow.  Weaver uses personal experience, the quotes and experiences of various authors, and scriptural wisdom to paint a balanced picture of the Martha/Mary life.

Favorite Quotes
How I wish I would have learned earlier in ministry to wait upon the Lord.  Much of my energy and joy has been swallowed up by jobs and obligations that were not my own.  I still tend to rush in, presuming to know his will rather than waiting to hear what he desires.
It is a costly mistake, for often, when the Holy Spirit does ask something of me, I'm either knee deep in another project or too exhausted from my latest exercise in futility to do what God wants of me.  - p 124
-----
Jesus wasn't concerned about Martha's external abilities at all.  It was her internal disabilities that he probed--the dark corners of pride and prejudice, the spiritual handicap of busyness that left her unable to enjoy the intimacy of his presence.
After all, intimacy can be threatening.  Getting close to Jesus means we can no longer hide our inadequacies.  His light illuminates everything that is wrong and ugly about our lives.  Unconsciously, therefore, we may flee God's presence rather than pursue it.  And Satan spurs on our retreat by telling us we're not good enough to earn God's favor.  He tells us that when we get our act together--that's when we can enter the Living Room.
But the truth is, we can't get our spiritual act together unless we go to the Living Room first. - p. 126 
We are not pawns on some celestial chessboard, expendable and unimportant.  We are cherished and highly loved. - p 249
It takes a process to make a product. - 386
What I Liked:
  • The author recommends many outside resources for further study. 
  • There is an intensive Bible study in the back of the book for deeper insight.
  • Weaver not only uses vivid example and thought provoking quotes from others, but is open about her own life.  I like an author who has lived it rather than making it a wonderful theory.
  • The bibliography and cited sources have added many wonderful titles to my reading list.
What I didn’t like: 
  • I read the large print edition because it was the only one available from the library. Like most people, I can normally read large print faster than standard print.  However, this author uses asides or emphasis boxes that the editor did not place them very well.  They were often placed in the middle of a paragraph.  I know, it's nitpicky, but it was also distracting.
  • Some of the Bible study questions weren't clear.  I wasn't sure what was being asked.  Most of the questions were personal insight questions that didn't have a definite right or wrong answer, but the ones that did weren't very clear.
  • Another nitpicky thing that bothered me:  usually books with Bible quotes annotate which version is used at the beginning of the book--usually around the table of contents.  This is the first one I ever saw it placed at the very back of a book.
To sum up:  My main takeaway from this book:

I am not defined by what I do, but who I am.  Service to God is a pleasure when fellowship with God is first place. 


Want to join the challenge?  Click the empty shelf photo on the right to learn more.  It's not too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment