Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Auntie's Rules of Fitness: Part 2

More little gems from my fitness walk:

For rules 1-8 click here.
  • Beware of saboteurs. Everyone is not to be trusted with your goals and dreams. I learned this one the hard way. People who truly love you will not try to sabotage your healthy efforts. You are worth it.

  • The BMI (Body Mass Index) is a CROCK. It is not a good  measurement of health and doesn't take muscle mass or body types into account. The BMI is the modern day height/weight chart and just as inaccurate.

  • Write stuff down.    Write down goals to keep yourself focused.  Write down what you’ve done to see your progress.  Here's a sample of the workout chart I use to track my weekly progress.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/eharcoehnfrunm0/Fit%20for%20the%20Master.doc?dl=0

  • If you think you can get truly fit without a change in eating habits or exercising, you’re crazy!  I don’t care what the commercials say about “quick weight loss without effort.”  THEY LIE!

  • Don’t do this alone.  Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (KJV) says, “Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. 10For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.”   We all need help and accountability.

  • Listen to your body.  No, not when it demands Snicker’s Bars and pizza.  Listen to your body when it’s trying to tell you that you’re doing too much or injuring it.  There’s a big difference between a small twinge in a muscle that says, “Hey, you’ve never worked me before.  Welcome!” and “Hey, you’re going to snap me in half if you keep doing that.  You need to stop!”  Certain cravings may also be telling you about nutritional needs for your body.

  • Pay attention to your shoes.  Whether you walk, run, or participate in any other aerobic activity, your shoes do eventually wear out.  If the bottom of your shoes looks like a bald tire, it’s time for new ones.  If something causes pain, it may be time for new shoes.  I recently had this happen to me.  One day, my run was great.  The next time, one shoe felt like I was running on a brick and it hurt.  BTW—you do distribute weight and pressure differently on each foot, so don’t be surprised when one shoe wears out faster than the other one.  Also, if budget allows, have more than one pair of athletic shoes.  Changing them out keeps them from wearing out so fast. Plus, it gives the protective cushioning inside the shoe time to recover between workouts.  It’s kind of like fluffing a mashed pillow when you make your bed (OK, if you make your bed J );  It will feel great the next night.
As I keep learning, I’ll keep posting…

 
What are some rules/tips you've learned in your fitness journey?

 

2 comments:

  1. Great advice!!! You're right about distributing weight differently. I found out that when I ran, my right foot was hitting harder than my left. That explained a string of right foot/leg stress injuries. Keep on, sister!!! You are an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete