Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Stuck in the Middle: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!
August 12th is National Middle Child Day...are you a middle child? If not, where in your family do you fall in terms of birth order? Do you hold true to the typical characteristics of oldest-middle-youngest-only child? (a quick list can be found here) Elaborate.

No, I'm not the middle child.  I'm the youngest.  The "traits" of the last born on the website were quite insulting, not to mention inacurate.  Things like:
 
"Lastborns generally aren't the strongest or the smartest in the room..."  How would you feel if some snooty children's magazine writer assumed that you were weak and stupid simply because you were born last? I don't know who Jocelyn Woo (the author of the article) is, but she can kiss my butt!

"Lastborns also learn to use their role as the baby to manipulate others in order to get their way"Are you freaking kidding me?  My parents didn't brook any nonsense, so manipulation was the last thing on my mind.  Trying that mess would have put my rear end in a sling!

These "traits" speak more of bad parenting than bad children.


Yeah, I know this doesn't have anything to do with what I just wrote, but it's cheery. 
 
Tell us about a time you felt like (or you actually were) in the middle of nowhere.

I would consider Salina, Kansas the middle of nowhere.  Actually, I'd consider Kansas the middle of nowhere (no offense to my Kansas peeps).  I ended up breaking down in Salina on my way to Denver from Alabama.  I chronicled the trip and mayhem here.

What's something you're smack in the middle of currently?

I'm right in the middle of a hermeneutics class. Our final project is a huge one and finding appropriate resources has been a booger, so I'm also in the middle of trying to not get a headache.

What's a food you love to eat that has something delicious in the middle?

Hamburgers (well, any sandwich really), hotdogs, tacos, cream horns (though I haven't had one in probably 15 years), peanut butter filled pretzels, and cream filled cookies.  I'm sure there's more, but those were the first ones that came to mind.

Now Miss Joyce has made me hungry.

Share a memory from your middle school days, or junior high if that's what your school dubbed kids somewhere between grades 6-8.

The best memory from that time period is in 8th grade when my English teacher, Mr. Gosdin, introduced the class to the works of Lewis Grizzard.  I continue to read and reread his works even now.  He's a hoot.

Insert your own random thought here. 

A couple of pretties from my trip to Aurora Monday:
 













In case you're interested:
* My latest Simple Woman's Daybook is here
* My latest Five Minute Friday post is here.  
* My latest Auntie's Workshop post is here.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! I'm hungry too. There are so many delicious foods mentioned in the answers today. Hamburgers are one of my faves too. Stay well and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that food sounds so good and the flowers are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, there's not much in Kansas. Ask Dorothy.
    The dahlias are beautiful!
    I always take those evaluations with a grain of salt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I didn't know what all the different kinds of flowers were in those bed, but they were gorgeous. More pictures to come in my Daybook this weekend.

      Delete