Friday, August 7, 2020

Five Minute Friday: "Progress"

 


Song of Solomon 2:15 (KJV) - Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.

I've never liked the saying "three steps forward, two steps back."  One of my favorite authors, Chuck Swindoll, even wrote a book with that title, which incidentally, I've never read (and don't plan to).  Who likes the idea of most of his progress being reduced to nothing?  Why should progress take so much regress?

Yet here I am.

I recently celebrated my 12th year of recovery.  We're taught in recovery that relapse is to be avoided at all costs--and it is.  We're also taught to accept imperfect progress.  But what happens when imperfect dominates progress?  What happens when you're made to feel that your imperfect is not welcome, only your progress? 

Like I said last week, we all hurt.  Please respect those who are hurting.  Respect any progress they make.

11 comments:

  1. I feel you on this one. It is so discouraging to feel like you've lost progress. I prefer to think that we are always moving forward, sometimes we just have to adjust our speed or direction. Sometimes progress is hard to see, but we're always moving, just maybe not as fast or in the direction we prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go girl and well done. A lot of my christain friends that are I recovery are the ones that shout about God's grace and love the most. They also help the most people connect to God. Keep going iron diva x fmf #7

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that phrase imperfect progress - we all deal with it in one way or another, some just more visible than others. Thank you for your honest reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going, move forward as any steps in the right direction is progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 12 years! And yes, any progress is worth celebrating, even if it doesn't look like we think it should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Imperfect progress." A resounding yes to accepting imperfections and celebrating imperfect progress! Congratulations and thanks for the reminder to be compassionate. Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You reminded me of a quote by CS Lewis. I hope it encourages and blesses you: "We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man."

    Amie, FMF #25

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three steps forward, two steps back is still one step ahead and worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I keep forgetting to let you all know that I'm visiting from FMF #20. And congratulations on 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations on 12 years!! That is a huge milestone and a grace of God. Keep pressing on, perfect or not, God is perfect and He sees us through. thank you for your words of encouragement and the reminder for compassion.

    ReplyDelete