Sunday, June 28, 2020

Romance is Dead, and I Don't Feel So Good Myself: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook
 

For Today: Sunday, June 28, 2020

Looking Out My Window ... Not a good day for me to look out the window.  I've got a hormone-induced migraine-type headache, so this bright beautiful day will have to wait until the medicine kicks in.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjlo6fdZARu5B4AVSD75UyWJjuK4XXcJMvUULWDD4Ms_mOXAKSGP7J4YwMYWrc5ybUANLiaFmzDLePE8YZ0laSOs-RXP9ruzFozwlGwu7jTUH7aBMSSs09MDNvODbnmBhsM6Ern8mx4FdqG/s1600/God+Breezes.jpg
I am Thinking...About one of my favorite books.  Lori Wick's Bamboo and Lace was published in 2001.  As soon as our library offered a copy for check out, I read it.  Over the years, I've read it at least five times.  It's a great story of Lily, an American woman born in a foreign country to her missionary parents, and her adventures of visiting America, falling in love, and dealing with an overbearing father who won't let go of dogma long enough to let her have this love.  Wick, whose books are in the Christian romance genre, crafted a beautiful story that I have thoroughly enjoyed every time I've read it...until now.

I was in my late (very late) 20s when I read the book the first time.  I knew that God's answer for me concerning marriage was at least "no now" if it wasn't a flat out "no."  That didn't stop me from enjoying this (and other) stories of pure love and devotion with Christ as the center, and hoping for that love for others (and myself, if indeed God's answer was "not now").  Nearly two decades later, and this book brought me no joy (except for the part where Lily rips her dad a new one--he asked for it).  The story hasn't changed, but I suppose I have.

God's answer about marriage for me has been a definite "no" for many years now, so the change in my attitude about the book has nothing to do with that.  I still hope for that kind of love for my friends and family who are destined for marriage.  No, I think it has more to do with a part of my faith that now has no meaning for others--nothing that is a good example to follow.  When I was younger and not sure of God's answer, holding on to my virtue and saving myself for marriage required faith and strength.  As a child, teenager, and young adult, males of ill repute attempted to take from me that which had not been offered, but failed (praise God).  It took time, but God healed me of the trauma of those experiences.

As I got closer to my 30s, I asked God to keep me from temptation--I needed it.  Now, at 48, the tide has shifted.  The brutal truth is that it's really easy to "hang on" and trust God when no one wants you.  It's easy to hang on to virtue and honor the Lord with my body when every man assumes that a nearly 50 year old unmarried woman must be so because she has 99 cats--just for the record, I do not nor do I EVER plan to own a cat for that very reason.  It's easy to tell younger people to value themselves and their bodies more than a passing fling and "true love waits" when you reach an age of singleness where people at church "started wondering if you liked men."  Yes, I had that said to me by someone back home before I moved to Colorado.  Just for the record, YES, I like men.  Now, whether or not they like me....?  Well, I really don't care anymore. I'm too old for that crap, and apparently, God's got another plan for me.

So maybe my days of reading Christian romance novels are over.  Hopefully, I can find light reading and stories that are more along the lines of Christian friendship where the goal isn't marriage, but growth and fellowship.  If not, I can always read some Lewis Grizzard,

We'll see...
  
I am Thankful...
  • For continued creativity.  The ideas are coming so fast that I've had to start writing them down.
  • For my car tag coming in the mail without a hitch.  I know that sounds like a simple thing, but I have NEVER renewed my tag online.  I've always paid for them in person.  Plus, this was the first time I'd ever had an emissions test required.  BTW--I'm thankful that also went off without a hitch.
  • That Christ has given us His mind (I Corinthians 2:16). Otherwise, I would be up the creek without a paddle with these classes I'm taking.
  • For healthy friends who aren't afraid to meet in person.
  • For walks outside and pretty things to look at and take pictures of...

  • For being reminded of old songs that build my faith.  This one has been playing in my head for the past few days:


 From the Workshop... 

It was chicken day at Auntie's Workshop yesterday.  My friend and co-worker, Emily,
came for a visit.  Along with a scrumptious KFC lunch, we had a little painting
party.  She has forever dubbed him "Clucky."



From Auntie's Test Kitchen...The Workshop and the Test Kitchen fused together in an art challenge this week.  See my post here for the details.

I am Reading...

Given by Tina Boesch
Tactics by Gregory Koukl
Christian Apologetics by Douglas Groothuis
The Story of Christianity, Volume 2 by Justo Gonzalez

Completed volumes since my last Daybook:

Secrets of the Vine by Bruce Wilkinson
Sacred Pathways by Gary Thomas 
Bamboo and Lace by Lori Wick 
 
Favorite Quote(s) of the Week ...

From a YouTube comment: "Teflon is okay, but nothing says 'this'll teach you for coming home drunk' like cast iron."

From This Southern Girl Can YouTube channel - "Glitter is like the herpes of the craft world.  Once you get it on you, you can't get it off."

Now For Something Totally Different ...

Five Minute Friday Word of the Week:  How


















No comments:

Post a Comment