Monday, January 1, 2018

Book Trek 2018: Introduction


Auntie's 2017 Reading Quest has come to a close.  Time for a whole new adventure. 

Like my other reading challenges, this one doesn't have any specific instructions or types of required books.  However, some books may be part of various categories.  Examples include:
  • Glorious rereads - books I enjoyed so much that I'm reading them again.
  • Everybody's Reading It - books that everybody and their grandma read that I'm just now getting to.
  • Nobody Admits to Reading It - books that others have said to stay away from (whether they've read it or not).
  • Impulse Reads - Books I bought, borrowed, or checked out of the library for no other reason than "hey, this looks interesting."
As per normal, I will review select books.  My rating system is:

✮✮✮ = Outstanding

✮✮✮ = Pretty good

✮✮ = Could have been better / could have been worse.

= Not so great



 = Who wrote this crap?!





Last year, I had the goal of reading 30 books.  I exceeded my goal and completed 50 books.  This year, I'm going for 40.  If you'd like to follow my reading progress, see my Goodreads page.

Whether you read one book or 100 this year, I would enjoy some company on this trek.  Drop in a comment once and awhile to let me know how your reading goals are going (or not going).

So, what are your reading goals for 2018?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Books Read and Reviewed:

Completed books will be marked as a link to the review.

Book 01     Book 11
Book 02     Book 12
Book 03     Book 13
Book 04     Book 14
Book 05     Book 15
Book 06    
Book 07    
Book 08    
Book 09    
Book 10    

Read, but not Reviewed:
  1. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass.  A reread from last year.  I reviewed it here.  (02/03/18)
  2. My Bondage and My Freedom by Frederick Douglass.  (02/10/18)
  3. To Be Where You Are by Jan Karon.  (02/11/18)
  4. Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare (02/17/18)
  5. Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary (02/18/18)
  6. A Bride for Donnigan by Janette Oke (02/23/18)
  7. The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  A seasonal reread.  (02/24/18)
  8. I Thought it Was Just Me by Brene' Brown (03/10/18)
  9. Born to Win by Zig Ziglar.  (03/13/18)
  10. The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (03/17/18)
  11. The Word Made Art:  Lent by  (04/01/18)
  12. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  My Goodreads comments are here. (04/01/18)
  13. How to Kill 11 Million People by Andy Andrews (05/19/18)
  14. It Wasn't Always Easy, But I Sure Had Fun by Lewis Grizzard (10/19/18)
  15. The Lord's Table by Andrew Murray.  A glorious reread.  The review is here. (11/10/18)
  16. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis. (11/20/18)
  17. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie (12/01/18)
  18. Knowing God Intimately by Joyce Meyer (12/05/18)
  19. Every Little Thing About You by Lori Wick.  A Glorious reread.  (12/11/18) 
  20. A Texas Sky by Lori Wick.  A glorious reread.  (12/16/18) 
  21. City Girl by Lori Wick.  A glorious reread (12/22/18) 
  22. Shepherd's Abiding by Jan Karon.  A seasonal reread (12/22/18) 
  23. The Quiet Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott. (12/24/18)
  24. The Matchmakers by Janette Oke.  See my Goodreads comments on it here.  (12/28/18)
  25. The Greatest Thing in the World and Other Addresses by Henry Drummond. (12/31/18)

DNF's:  Did Not Finish:
  • You are A Badass by Jen Sincero.  I commented on it here.
  • Smartest Book in the World by Greg Proops.  I commented on it here.
  • The Road Back to You by Ian Morgan Cron
  • Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary of the Bible by Matthew Henry. I commented on it here.
  • Ready Player One by Earnest Cline
  • Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. 
  • The Cricket on the Hearth and Other Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens.  I commented on it here.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I think my goal this year is to not track my reading.... I have a lot of reading-related commitments already and I want to remember to just read, without a number in mind. Having said that, I think I will map out books I'd like to read for a bit of focus. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. It's tempting to read just for the numbers. However, for me, tracking keeps me moving forward. Even if I don't meet my reading goals for some reason, I read more by having the goal. Hey, when you've planned out your books, let me know. Maybe we can read some together.

      Delete