Friday, April 19, 2024

Five Minute Friday: "Lonely"

Ironic this word should come up now.  I recently finished a book called The Path Out of Loneliness.  While the author, a mental health clinician and Christian, acknowledges that there is an epidemic of loneliness that started prior to, but was exacerbated by, the pandemic, he gives an exhaustingly confusing set of messages.  On one hand, he champions for seeking professional help while on the other hand, he asserts that expert mental health help isn't needed.  While making an effort to seem empathetic, the author all out blames the sufferer for his loneliness.  It's falls in line with the false premise that basically if you read the Bible and prayed more, you wouldn't be _________.

So, is he right?  I doubt it.  While Bible reading and prayer are essentials to one who is a Christ follower, it isn't the solution to everything.  Christian counseling literature doesn't support this notion (I'm not talking about "self-help" books put together in 15 minutes by some goober in his basement.  I'm talking about reputable books and journal articles).  The Scriptures don't support this lazy brand of faith either.  I heard Pastor Rick Warren (among others, including my own pastor) say that the Bible is full of "one-another" passages that cannot be obeyed or fulfilled outside the context of community.

So, why does this word put such a burr under my saddle?  It's not the word itself, but the attitude it arouses from people which, quite frankly, pisses me off.  For example, I had to explain more than once to my church's Marriage and Family Pastor and his wife that there's nothing available fellowship-wise or help-wise for the "unicorns"--those of use who are older who've neither married nor had children. They didn't know--and it didn't phase them at all.  I'm not being heard.

Apparently we are not family.

But it's our fault we are lonely?

Bite me!

-----------------------------

In case you missed it:  

* My latest Weekly Review:  "As It Sits," is here.
* My latest First Line Friday Post: "#21: Master of Change" is here.
* My latest Wednesday Hodgepodge post, "One Word-Finish," is here.
* My latest book review of Good to Great is here.
* My "24 in 2024" list is here.
* My 2024 reading challenge:  "Full Shelf Challenge V.2" is here.
* My latest Monday Mess Making post on my Auntie's Workshop blog "Square Parties" is here.

6 comments:

  1. I so agree with you. Bible reading + prayer are not a magic formula to solve problems but one of the means of building relationship with God. And churches so often put up, probably unwittingly, so many hoops to jump through to join, it's like they've forgotten Jesus' command to "go" and think everyone else needs to "come".
    Thank goodness for communities like FMF.
    Your Neighbour #10

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your frustration. I do. Church is too often focused on the married, widow(ed), and families. They often forget the singles regardless of their age. I was well on 36 before I got married and fitting into a church body was extremely hard. but the thing is, sometimes we have to force it...and a comment spot isn't really the place to explain. but sometimes we have to create our own space and bring people into it. Welcoming in any we would bring in... Since nothing is cookie cutter for us, we need to create our own cookie spot persay. Some churches will allow it, and other times we have to seek out a different body that will. But we can create our own spaces within the framework of a larger body. But again, sometimes out attitude of "bite me" gets the better of us. :) Been there.... understand it. FMF12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In other words, you agree that a person's loneliness is his/her own fault?

      Since I was a teen, I've had to forge my own way, open my own doors, create doors where there were none, and be a lone ranger (not by choice). At over 50 years of age, it's getting exhausting. It would be nice to be loved without having to force it.

      Delete
  3. I can very much relate to your frustration.

    ReplyDelete