Sunday, April 14, 2024

As It Sits: The Weekly Digest

 Looking out the window....

Colorado is in the throws of "Fake Spring #4."  We've had a few days of refreshing warm weather.  On my drive from church today, I saw several trees and shrubs in bloom and the brown winter grass is starting to show the green of the changing season.  Alas, 'tis not real spring yet--there are cold temps and snow in the forecast.

Favorite quote(s) of the week...

If anyone would like to acquire humility, I can, I think, tell him the first step.  The first step is to realize that one is proud.  And a biggish step too.  At least, nothing whatever can be done before it.  If you think you are not conceited, it means you are very conceited indeed. C. S. Lewis, A Year With C. S. Lewis, p. 97.

Pursuits that align with your core values and shrink a big, unwieldy, and overwhelming world to make it feel smaller and more manageable are useful for integrating significant changes into your life and walking confidently into the unknown.  Brad Stulberg, Master of Change, p. 32.

We as followers of Jesus are not called to be known for what we're against; we are called to be known for what we're for--and what we're for is absolutely amazing.  Pastor Robert Gelinas, Kingdom Categories, Part 1, April 14, 2024.

I'm thinking about...

In Luke 18:8 (ESV), Jesus asks, "when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”  Though I've been a follower of Christ for several decades, my faith can be weak in some areas.  Some of the promises of God range from frightening to too good to be true though they are absolutely reliable.  I know that no true element of Christianity can be fully experienced in a vacuum.  However, it is becoming increasingly clear that in most areas of spirituality, I am on my own...and I hate it.

I learn a lot from participating in worship, reading books, listening to sermons, taking notes, and trying to find ways to implement what I'm learning.  However, sometimes believers have to "hook up" faith with one another.  I know this sounds mean, but I can't let just anyone pray for me.  If I'm believing for one thing, but the person I asked to pray is believing for something else, we're working at cross-purposes.  Worse yet, instead of praying, I have too many people in my life who tell me what God can't or won't do.  Their assumptions are not based on Scripture, but on theirs or someone else's experience.  Like I heard one minister say, "I don't have time to preach to you so you can pray for me."

Is there anyone around who just believes the Bible "as it sits"?

What I read this week...

  • The Release of the Spirit by Watchman Nee ✮✮
  • Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne ✮✮✮

I'm currently reading...

  • Master of Change by Brad Stulberg
  • The Self-Aware Leader by John Maxwell
  • Spiritual Authority by Watchman Nee
  • Lectures to My Students by C. H. Spurgeon
  • A Year of C. S. Lewis by C. S. Lewis
I am thankful for...Tutorial videos with accurate instructions.

From the Workshop...

This set was made for a co-worker who is due later this year.  It's called "Angel Afghan."
The pattern can be found here.

 
 
 
 






2 comments: