Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Don't Eat the Yellow Snow: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!


It's National Popcorn Day-my favorite! Are you a fan? Sweet or salty? A good or great movie you've seen recently (at home or in a theater, either one)? 

I'm a fan of popcorn.  I like it either sweet or salty.  I really can't enjoy most of the sweet varieties of microwave popcorn anymore since nearly all of them have Sucralose in them (my body does not do well with fake sugar).  The last really good movie I saw was The Hundred Foot Journey.  My friend Emily recommended it and I rented it from Amazon.  It's the story of an family from India trying to make their way in the gourmet restaurant business and all the ups and downs of the journey.

What's something you didn't realize was going to take so much of your time as an adult? 

The internet.  I had no experience with the internet in my early adulthood.  As the years went on, I went from downloading e-mails over dial-up (yes, dial-up), to doing research for work, all the way to having a cell phone with more storage space and memory than my first three computers combined.  I am happy for the connections that social media and the internet have provided, but now it seems that I have to fight the temptation to let it replace true face-to-face relationships.  I don't like that.

Your favorite yellow something? 

Sunflowers, bananas, daffodils, day lilies, and black eyed Susan flowers. 

Took this shot in Belmar

Why do you write? 

Like playing music or creating arts and crafts, writing is very cathartic for me.  In some aspects such as my blogs, it is a means of sharing my mind and heart with others.  In other aspects such as my personal journal--for lack of a better way to put it--it gets things out of my head and heart that need to be said, but not necessarily shared with anyone. 

Share a favorite memory associated with snow.

From Chautauqua Park in Boulder, CO

In more than four years of living in Colorado, I've dealt with more snow than in 45 years of living in
Alabama.  I don't necessarily have a favorite memory associated with snow. Snow and ice are still a big point of anxiety for me, especially it I need to drive anywhere.  I enjoy the beauty of it as it flocks the trees and spreads a soft blanket on the grass, but I don't get out in it unless absolutely necessary. I don't have anyone with which to build a snowman, make snow angels, tube, or have a snowball fight.  Those are the fun things about snow.

Insert your own random thought here:

In case you missed it:  

*My last Hodgepodge post, "New Year, New...Something" is here.
*My latest Five Minute Friday post "Behold," is here.
*My last 2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge review of All Earth is Waiting, is here.
*My latest Simple Woman's Daybook "A Buggy Full of Lemons," is here.
*My latest Auntie's Workshop post "Finishing and Fixing III," is here.


12 comments:

  1. I forgot about the internet, computers, etc. that I sure never dreamed I'd have to figure out. Great answer. I don't do fake sugar at all. Happy Hodgepodge to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I remember dial up internet. I live in Alabama and I would not want to drive in snow. I know they have snow plows and snow tires but I think I would still be nervous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa.

      Yes, they have plows and such, but they don't get around to all the streets, so it's still nerve wracking. I avoid it at all cost.

      Delete
  3. I remember dial up internet! I think I would be afraid to drive in the snow. I know that I don't have the correct tires and we don't have snow plows in Alabama but I still think I would be nervous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an Alabama native who has seen more snow in the past four years in Colorado than I ever saw in Alabama (counting the blizzard of '93), unless I have to drive in it, I refuse. Plus, I'm not paying $800 for all weather tires. No thank you.

      Delete
  4. I remember dial up internet, I can still hear the noise of it trying to connect lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's hilarious that the kids on Tik-Tok and YouTube use the sound of dialup when someone has to think too long about the answer to something or they get confused.

      Delete
  5. I can also remember dial up internet and I agree with you that the internet and social media can be very time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on spending less time on it, but it's difficult.

      Delete
  6. Your title to this post: Oh.My!!! Made me chuckle!!!
    "The Hundred Foot Journey" was the best movie I've seen in a loooong time. CH & I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete