Tuesday, July 27, 2021

A Buggy Full of Lemons: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

 
For Today: Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Looking Out My Window ...

I really like the texture of the bark of this tree outside my apartment.
 
One of the things I appreciate about our leasing office is that they plant
flowers every summer for us to enjoy.

 
I am Thinking...
  • About variety packs and why companies don't use them anymore.  I remember the old Kellogg's cereal variety packs and how enjoyable they were.  I got to try all different kinds of cereal without having to buy a whole box of any one cereal.  I know that potato chip and oatmeal companies still make them, but there are other things like flavored water and craft supplies that need variety packs.  
  • About adding Blogger's Ad Sense to my blogs. I'm not sure how it even works or whether I have any control over what gets advertised.   I'm sure I'd make a little extra money, but is it worth it?  I loathe the new trend of ads in EVERYTHING.  I can't even read some people's content because it's loaded with ads--video ads, audio ads that can blow an eardrum, and of course, the ads that take up half the webpage and cover up everything.  BTW--This doesn't make me want to read more, but to move on to another site.  I just don't know if I want to do that to y'all. What do you think?  Comment below.
  • About the important question, "who keeps stealing the little buggies?"  Whether it's the grocery store or Wal-Mart, the smaller grocery carts...er...little buggies are becoming an endangered species.  It's annoying.  I like having a cart buggy just the right size for when I need to buy more than what will fit in a hand basket, but not enough for a big buggy.  Even at the King Soopers right down from my apartment that has buggies that lock when someone tries to take them out of the realm of the parking lot, they are slowly disappearing  Y'all quit!
  • If you are a regular reader of my blog, you've seen the posts from the prompts provided by Miss Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond.  As in my last post, Miss Joyce is fond of asking questions about travel.  Since my travel within the United States is limited and international travel is nonexistent, I'm very interested in visiting and learning about new places.  My question is: where would I be welcome?  Our last travel question was about France where I know I wouldn't be welcome (they don't take kindly to American tourists or people of color from anywhere).  Of course, it took a long time for me to feel welcome here in Colorado and there are places in my home state where I still wouldn't feel welcome. So, should I be content to stay in place or should I venture out and see more of the world?
I am Thankful for...
  • For signing my first teaching contract at CCU.  
  • For when I do ocassionally find "little buggies" at the store.
  • For face-to-face meetings with friends complete with hugs, laughter, tears, and everything in between.
  • For little kindnesses and secret little delights only God and I understand.
From the Workshop...  

See my latest post "Finishing and Fixing III" here.


From
Auntie's Test Kitchen
... Did you know that I've never made fresh lemonade?  It's true, I've only made it from Kool-Aid packets.  Years ago, I had some fresh lemonade that Miss Rosie, our church Secretary (or as she called it COI - Collector of Information).  It was so great that I asked her for the recipe...and waited nearly 20 years to muster the courage to make it myself.

The recipe is quite simple: Into a gallon container, place juice from 3 lemons and 2 1/2 to 3 cups sugar. Add water to 3/4 mark, stir good, add ice cubes and stir again. I cut up the lemon and add to the container but remove them if I store overnight because the lemon rind makes it bitter.

This recipe went by the wayside for so long because I didn't have the tools to make it "right"--no lemon juicer or gallon container.  I found an inexpensive one-gallon pitcher and decided to just juice the lemons by hand.  It was pretty good and may be even better using a juicer.  Don't just take my word for it.  I actually served it to people who had no idea that I didn't know what I was doing, and they liked it. 

I am Reading...  
 
The Good and Beautiful God by James Bryan Smith
Breaking the Pattern of Depression by Dr. Michael Yapko
Prevailing Prayer by Dwight L. Moody
15 Minutes Alone With God by Emilie Barnes

Completed volumes since my last Daybook: 
  1. As You Wish:  Inconceivable Tales From the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes
  2. Be a People Person by John C. Maxwell 
  3. Be All You Can Be by John C. Maxwell
  4. The Ministry of Intercession by Andrew Murray
  5. Depression is Contagious by Dr. Michael Yapko 
  6. A Diary of Private Prayer by John Bailie
  7. Soul Feast by Marjorie J. Thompson 
  8. Sometimes You Win, Sometimes You Learn for Kids by John C. Maxwell
  9. The Rule of Saint Benedict by Saint Benedict of Nursia
  10. Till He Come by Charles Spurgeon
  11. Atomic Habits by James Clear -- a recommended read
  12. All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum
  13. The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola by Ignatius of Loyola
  14. Sit Walk Stand by Watchman Nee
  15. Follow the Leader by John C. Maxwell
  16. The Autobiography of Saint Ignatius by Ignatius of Loyola

Favorite Quote(s) of the Week ... 

Yet when this morning prayer is finished, do not let me think that my worship is ended and spend the rest of the day forgetting you. Rather, from these quiet moments, let light and joy and power pour out and remain with me through every hour of this day. - John Bailie, A Diary of Private Prayer, p. 4.

I sometimes think it is about time to give up preaching to the ungodly and preach to those who profess to be Christians.  If we had a higher standard of life in the church of God, there would be thousands more flocking into the kingdom....What we want is to encounter God in prayer.  You are not going to reach the masses by great sermons.  We want to 'move the arm that moves the world.'  To do that we must be clear and right before God. - Dwight L. Moody, Prevailing Prayer, pages 11 and 49.

Now For Something Totally Different ...

Five Minute Friday word of the week:  Summer.

 







 




























No comments:

Post a Comment