Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Fourth Down: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!
 

This week, Miss Joyce gave us questions focusing on the number four in honor of her grandson, who she affectionately refers to as "The Man Cub" who turned four recently.  Happy birthday, little dude!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Four words that tell us something about your July?

Short:  After coming off of Commencement in May, it seemed like May and June would never end.  July, however, has gone by so quickly.  It seems weird that the first of August is Sunday.  School will start before we know it.

Long:  In the month of July, the Denver metropolitan area got less than two inches of rain and there's only slight chances of precipitation to close out the month.  Paired with wildfire smoke from Colorado and California and pollution held in the atmosphere by the mountains and long stretches of high temperatures has made for terrible air quality.  Getting outside has made me more tired than usual.  Add to that the cottonwood tress to which I am allergic, and my eyeballs don't love me anymore.  Here's hoping for a rainy fall ... that will hopefully keep the ragweed down.  Sheesh!

Fun:  Maintaining community is a hard process (especially in this environment), but so much fun.  I've had a great month of reconnecting with people I haven't talked to in a while and getting out a little.  I got a chance to go to the local paint and sip, Painting With a Twist, and paint a fun piece with Emily.  In the coming months, I'm hoping to contact even more family and friends.

Relaxing: With all the heat and the nuttiness with smoke and allergens, I've had no choice but to sleep and rest more.  However, I'm believing that it will help with my energy and stamina for the coming school year.  Along with my job as Admin, I'll be teaching my first Theology course online as an Adjunct Professor at CCU.  So, back in the teaching world I go.  Anybody got a box of Wheaties I can have? 

Four of your favorite summer foods?

Do drinks count?  If so, iced tea in limited quantities would be one. The others would be cherries, Palisade peaches (which are better than Georgia peaches and rival Chilton County, Alabama (Clanton) peaches, and any form of barbecue or cookout food.  BTW--my next big cooking celebration and experiment holiday is Labor Day, so stay tuned.

What were you doing at a quarter past four yesterday?  A.M.? Watching eyelid movies.  P.M.? I was still working at 4:15 p.m.

fore!, four letter word, four sheets to the wind, ten-four, 24/7, four eyes, these four walls....pick a 'four' phrase and tell us how you relate currently.

OK.  I've worn glasses since I was four (ironically), so "four eyes" does relate.  However, I've never found that phase funny.  When you hear it for twelve straight years of school, it gets old...really old, really fast.  "These four walls" relates more for a couple of reasons: One, I'm still in the process of decorating my apartment, so I look at the walls and think of ways to decorate, arrange, and re-arrange in ways that are more aesthetically pleasing.  Two, With the world still struggling to get out of pandemic mode, I'm wanting to find a way to get out more and away from the same four walls.

Something you own that is four years old? 

Nothing that I can think of.  The stuff I brought with me from Alabama is either older than four years, or doesn't exist anymore (i.e.: my last car that died, a couple of Bluetooth speakers that died, and some books that got ruined in the move...RIP).  The stuff I bought new after the move (almost everything) is less than four years old--I didn't move into my apartment until November of 2017.

Insert your own random thought here.

In case you missed it:  

*My last Hodgepodge post, "French Twist," is here.
*My latest Five Minute Friday post "Summer." is here.
*My latest Simple Woman's Daybook "A Buggy Full of Lemons," is here.
*My latest Auntie's Workshop post "Finishing and Fixing III," is here.
*My latest 2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge review of Love Does, is here.

5 comments:

  1. We are having wildfires, no rain, and lots of smoke here in our corner of Washington State, too. I'm glad you could rest. We've been spending lots of time inside in the heat of the day. Hope the rest of July goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in South Carolina and our sunrise and moon were both affected by the wildfires burning at such an intense heat out west and in Canada. Like everything else this past year, the weather has been strange. I'm so glad you're getting to reconnect with people in person. The painting sounds like a fun outing. South Carolina peaches are my favorite...why is Ga the peach state? I think they grow more of them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The painting outing was fun. It's refreshing to learn from someone else in person. I can only get so much from books and videos. Sometimes I need someone to show me.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the class! I just picked up another adjunct job myself at a small Ohio 2 year college. It's all online and asynchronous, so I can squeeze it in when I find time. (ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to do a paint and sip.

    ReplyDelete