Friday, December 10, 2021

Five Minute Friday: "Behold."

Smashing 16-inch plates at the reunion
Romans 13:8 (AMPC) - Keep out of debt and owe no man anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor [who practices loving others] has fulfilled the Law [relating to one’s fellowmen, meeting all its requirements].

Behold(en) - having a duty to someone in return for help or a service

What is the balance between truly asking for help and making oneself beholden to someone?  My recent trip home and all the missteps that went with it left a trail of either my feeling sorrow and embarrassment over, or people being angry with me for asking for help. So maybe there is not balance; someone is going to be hurt either way.

Just a side note:  I'd like to thank the Avis company for their part in trying to ruin my vacation with their ridiculous rules that marginalize those of us who are actually wise with money and don't borrow for every little thing we do.  Your bougie efforts caused a lot of consternation among my friends and family and made my rare visit home way more stressful than it needed to be.  In return, I have ceased receiving you e-mails, recommending you to friends, plus you've earned a permanent spot on my dookie list (right under Enterprise for the same reason).

Anyway...

As fun as it was to go home, visit with people, go to the Marching Southerners' reunion, and participate at both of my home churches, I came home with the dreadful feeling that I may never be able go back.  Call it pride or self-preservation, but if I have to go home begging, annoying people to the point that they lie to me, or pissing off people, I'll stay in Colorado and leave everyone alone.  In my Hodgepodge post this week, I talked about all the grief I was experiencing.  This mess didn't help it any.

-----------------------------

In case you missed it:  

* My last Five Minute Friday post "Purpose" v. 2.0 is here.
* My last Wednesday Hodgepodge post, "Just a Little Trim," is here.
* My last Simple Woman's Daybook post "A Buggy Full of Lemons," is here.
* My latest 2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge review of Love Does is here.
* My latest Auntie's Workshop post "Finishing and Fixing III" is here.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Auntie! I am sorry your travels were so negative. Your writing is so beautiful. This was my first visit and I plan to return! I'm visitin from FMF. Great to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sucks when people who are supposed to have your back cause you to question yourself.

    Remember that you are the treasured daughter of the Most High God and His opinion is the only one that really matters.

    Visiting from FMF # 22 4/8/22

    ReplyDelete