Friday, June 25, 2021

Five Minute Friday: "Quiet"

 

I love the quiet of the mornings.  My neighbors haven't started stirring much, the trash truck hasn't bounced by yet, and the birds are even briefly enjoying the stillness before beginning their morning chorus.  I light a candle, sit in my prayer/reading chair, sip on my morning beverage of choice, grab a pen and paper, and prepare for my time with God.

Ah, such quiet bliss...

Until...

My mind does NOT know quiet like my body does. Even in the stillness of my morning fellowship with God, my mind runs like a wheel-treading hamster juiced up on Red Bull.  If you try to follow the track of my roller coaster thoughts, keep your hands in the car or you'll fall off the ride.


Anyway...

One my goals for the year is to learn how to better settle myself totally in the presence of God. Psalm 131:2 (AMP) says, "Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul; Like a weaned child [resting] with his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me [composed and freed from discontent]."  That is the goal.  But how?  "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you" (I Peter 5:10 KJV).  So, as I suffer through the discipline of trying to settle my mind in order to spend quality time with God, His glorious presence settles me so that I can spend more quality time with Him.

Cool, ain't it?
-----------------------------

In case you missed it:  

* My last Five Minute Friday post "Disagree" is here.
* My last Simple Woman's Daybook post "Junior Asparagus," is here.
* My last Wednesday Hodgepodge post, "Cutie Patootie" is here.
* My latest 2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge review of Love Does is here.
* My latest Auntie's Workshop post "Finishing and Fixing II" is here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can relate. I truly want to sit in silence to hear the voice of God, but my busy brain has a hard time just settling down. One minute at a time! Great post! visiting you from FMF#41

    ReplyDelete