Friday, June 11, 2021

Five Minute Friday: "Disagree"

 





Whatever happened to agreeing to disagree?  Whatever happened to adult discourse where everyone's opinion matters?  When did we suddenly turn into a bunch of whiny, strident toddlers who lay in the floor and scream for life and everyone in it to be my way or no way?

Look, I have beliefs that I wish everyone shared, but I'm smart enough to know that I can't force someone to share them no matter how big of a fit I pitch.  Besides, who wants to be coerced into belief?  Is it even real belief?  Dale Carnegie is quoted as saying, "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."  He's right!

On the flip side, why are those who attempt to engage in honest discourse labeled as "haters" if they hold dissenting opinions from the majority?  OK.  Pull out your thesaurus (or open an app or search engine), and show me where "disagree" and "hate" are synonyms of each other. 
 
You can't do it, can you?
 
That's what I thought.
 

If you want to know how to navigate the toddlers without becoming one of them, I'd recommend this book.  It's excellent.

-----------------------------
In case you missed it:
  

* My last Five Minute Friday post "Recovery" is here.
* My last Simple Woman's Daybook post "Junior Asparagus," is here.
* This week's Hodgepodge post, "Cutie Patootie" is here.
* My latest 2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge review of Love Does is here.
* My latest Auntie's Workshop post "Finishing and Fixing II" is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment