Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Cabbage Patch Kids: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!

This week's Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? If so tell us more. Yes, this year I am reading a devotional for Lent and focusing on the meaning of this season.  Did you grow up 'celebrating' Lent? No, I didn't grow up in church. Is attending church part of your weekly routine? Yes.  Are churches open for in-person worship where you live? 

Yes, we are open to in-person worship with limited capacity in keeping with the rules of the county health department and CDC guidelines 😷.  And thank God we are.  We were closed and doing online worship for several months. If you've read my blog posts from last year, you know that it did not go well for me.  Online church is a great option when you can't attend due to illness or weather, but I would not want to do that long term.

When is the last time you sat beside a 'real' fire?  Last year, I went to a church retreat at the Hideaway Retreat Center in Colorado Springs. Their dining area had a real fireplace that burned real logs, not gas.  It was nice.  Do you have a fireplace in your home? Wood or gas logs?  No.  Favorite thing cooked over a fire? Does barbecue count? 


Something that's currently got you fired up?  This song.


Yes, I know I'm sharing a lot of music in this post, but I've been on an old school Christian music binge lately, and Petra has been at the top of the playlist.  This one will get you ready for worship for sure.

February 17th also happens to be National Cabbage Day. Who knew? Do you like cabbage? Is cabbage on your menu Wednesday? Of the following cabbage dishes which is your favorite-coleslaw (mayo or vinegar?), sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, kielbasa and cabbage, grilled cabbage, bubble and squeak, kimchi, or haluski? 

Cabbage is a take it or leave it food for me.  I don't hate it, but I don't just love it either.  I like coleslaw, the salad mixes that include cabbage, and as a kid I liked my mom's cooked cabbage.  I used to put sauerkraut on hot dogs, but haven't done that for years.  I've not really had any of the other cabbage dishes listed.  So, I guess I'm not that big into cabbage.

Do you hang on to pennies? What do you do with them? Last thing you purchased for $1.00? Last thing you purchased for $5.00? 

Oh yes.  I got that from my parents.  I hang on to pennies and other coins throughout the year, roll them, then either cash or deposit them at the bank.  Sometimes I purchase something with the savings or just leave them in the bank. The last thing I purchased for  $1.00 was cleaning supplies--I shop at the Dollar Tree on a regular basis.  The last $5.00 item I purchased was probably a fast food meal somewhere.

Insert your own random thought here.

An icon in Christian music and one of my absolute favorites has gone to his heavenly reward.  Carman passed away yesterday at 65.  His "Radically Saved" tour was the first concert I ever attended and I've listened to his music ever since.  Though it's hard to pick just one, this has to be my all time favorite song of his.


In case you're interested:

* My latest Five Minute Friday Post, "Once," is here.
* My latest Auntie's Workshop post Get 'er Done Art Challenge: Round Two, Phase Two" is here.
* My latest Simple Woman's Daybook post "A Better Normal" is here.
* My 2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge is here.

3 comments:

  1. Our church, Prestonwood Baptist church in Plano, Tx has been open for in-person worship this whole time, with the exception of only a few Sundays. We also have in-person Life Groups meeting. I am so grateful for our leadership who refused to let the circumstances keep us from gathering for worship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My church, Colorado Community Church, is a rather large congregation. Even though it was difficult for me, I think our leadership did the right thing by following the proper protocols, offering online worship service, and keeping in touch with us. As soon as they were allowed to open, we did, offering limited seating by reservation. I think it was especially important for the service I normally attend. Our Sunday morning early service has a large group of elderly members. They are part of the most vulnerable group and needed to be protected.

      Romans 12:10 (KJV) - "Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another."

      Delete
  2. I always loved Carmen's music and was sad to hear of his passing. I'm glad your church is back in person. It's a mixed bag here in SC. I wish I'd asked about Cabbage Patch dolls in my questions this week. Have a happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete