Friday, October 9, 2020

Five Minute Friday: "Help."

 

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (KJV) - "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."


Did you know that no "self-help" book I've ever read has been labels as such?  In fact, the authors have said the exact opposite.  Effective books of this type are more "self-analysis" than "self-help."  They get you in a position where you understand yourself enough to know what kind of outside help you need.

So, what does one do in the midst of a pandemic and mandated isolation?   How does a person establish accountability that counts when they are alone?  That's my dilemma right now.  I had great accountability when I could work out at the community center on a regular basis (there were instructors and fellow patrons who were expecting me).  However, until they let us exercise without a mask, that's a no-go.  I really don't care what the "scientists" say, if I can't talk without getting out of breath wearing a mask, there no way I can exercise effectively in one.  I've tried setting up accountability with folks online, but they all play the mommy excuse pissing contest game and nothing gets done.

I hate this.  I hate having the flawed type of personality that requires outer accountability. This is the one time I wish "self-help" was actually a thing--where "pulling yourself up by the bootstraps" was actually a one man operation. 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. I can see that being very difficult. and your personality isn't flawed, you are just being the social person you were meant to be. It's just rather frustrating in this covid time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I too prefer outer accountability.
    Thanks for sharing.
    (visiting from #23)

    ReplyDelete