Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2019 Book Nook Reading Challenge: Introduction


Artwork by Shannon Maddox
Auntie's Workshop

Book Trek 2018 has come to a close.  It was right up to the wire, but I did meet my goal of 40 books.  Time for a whole new reading challenge.

Like my other reading challenges, this one doesn't have any specific instructions or types of required books.  However, some books may be part of various categories.  Examples include:
  • Kiddie Lit - This year, I want to enjoy more children's books.  As a "retired" preschool teacher, I miss reading good books to children.  Plus, there are books from my childhood and teen years I'd like to revisit.
  • Recommended Reads - books recommended by trustworthy sources.
  • Glorious rereads - books I enjoyed so much that I'm reading them again.
  • Everybody's Reading It - books that everybody and their grandma read that I'm just now getting to.
  • Nobody Admits to Reading It - books that others have said to stay away from (whether they've read it or not).
  • Impulse Reads - Books I bought, borrowed, or checked out of the library for no other reason than "hey, this looks interesting."

I am editing my rating system slightly. It is as follows:

✮✮✮ = Outstanding
✮✮✮ = Pretty good
✮✮ = Could have been better / could have been worse.
= Not so great

And the DNF (did not finish/would not finish) pile will now be called:


Because who's got time to force themselves to keep reading a bad book?

This year's goal is one again 40 books.  If you'd like to follow my reading progress, see my Goodreads page.

Whether you read one book or 100 this year, I would enjoy some company in the book nook.  Drop in a comment once and awhile to let me know how it's going.

So, what are your reading goals for 2019?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Books Read and Reviewed:

Completed books will be marked as a link to the review.

Book 01    
Book 02
Book 03    
Book 04
Book 05
Book 06    
Book 07    
Book 08    

Read, but not Reviewed:
  1. My Philosophy for Successful Living by Jim Rohn.  My Goodreads comments are here.
  2. Curious George by H. A. Rey.  My Goodreads comments are here.
  3. The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
  4. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
  5. Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan
  6. Outer Order, Inner Calm by Gretchen Rubin
  7. The Journey That Saved Curious George by Louise Borden
  8. The Word in the Wilderness by Malcolm Guite
  9. Self Matters by Dr. Phillip C. McGraw
  10. The Quilt by T. Davis Bunn (a glorious reread)
  11. The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder (a glorious reread)
  12. The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings on Authenticity, Connection, and Courage by Brene Brown.
  13. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. 
  14. Next Level Thinking by Joel Osteen.  My Goodreads comments are here.  
  15. The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis.
  16. Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney.
  17. God Breathed by Josh McDowell
  18. So Long, Insecurity; You've Been a Bad Friend to Us by Beth Moore (a glorious re-read).  The review is here.
  19. Men, Women, and Worthiness by Brene Brown.
  20. Looking for Lovely by Annie Downs.
  21. Humility by Andrew Murray.
  22. The Deeper Christian Life by Andrew Murray.
  23. The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery.
  24. Faith Thinking by Trevor Hart.
  25. My Heart, Christ's Home by Roberts Munger.
  26. Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
  27. The Good and Beautiful Community by James Bryan Smith.
  28. The Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkinson.
  29. God Breathed (Study Guide) by Josh McDowell.
  30. Unshakeable by Christine Caine.  My Goodreads comments are here
  31. The Expected One:  Anticipating All of Jesus in the Advent by Scott James.
  32. Defining Moments:  The Harlem Renaissance by Kevin Hillstrom.  My Goodreads comments are here.
  33. Shepherds Abiding by Jan Karon.  A glorious reread.
  34. The Quiet Little Woman:  A Christmas Treasury by Louisa May Alcott.  A Glorious reread.
  35. They Followed the Star by A. E. Dingee.  Kiddie lit. 
  36. The Gift for All People by Max Lucado.
  37. A Little Book for New Theologians. by Kelly M. Kapic. 
  38. Abide in Christ by Andrew Murray.

Ain't Nobody Got Time for That!:
Surprisingly, I didn't have any abandoned reads this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment