Wednesday, October 27, 2021

I Ain't 'Fraid of No Candy Corn: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!
 

Is Halloween a big deal in your neighborhood? Was it something you celebrated as a child? With your own children? Do you like candy corn? 

I'm not sure.  My apartment building doesn't have many families with young children (if any).  The other buildings have lots of kids, but I don't know the families well enough to know if they're celebrating.  I trick-or-treated as a kid.  As a teen and adult, I would volunteer to help with our church's fall festival. That was always fun, especially during my teaching years when I would see my students at the festival laughing and having a great time.  Hopefully the door will open so I can start helping with my current church's fall festival. Candy corn is not my favorite.  I don't seek it out, but I can tolerate it better when it's mixed with peanuts.  No, it doesn't taste like a Payday, but it tastes better than just candy corn.  Speaking of horrid Halloween candy...


Are you a scaredy cat? About what? 

I try not to be.  I have unreasonable fears about stupid stuff.  For example, for those of you who remember my issue with the car wash; I still haven't mustered up the courage to go back.  I don't know if it's just an illogical fear, or if it's pride because I don't want to be embarrassed again.

Last time you were somewhere that should have been busy but felt like a 'ghost town'? 

Nearly every Sunday.  When I drive through Denver to get to and from my church in Aurora, it seems that this is when Denver takes a nap (except for the church goers and hobos).  I like it though; my Sunday drive is really a relaxing Sunday drive.

Do you like chili and if so how do you like it? Beans or no beans? Meat or no meat? Beef or chicken? Spice or no spice? Favorite toppings? 

I like chili with beans, made with ground beef, venison, or turkey.  I'm sure chicken would be good; I've just never had it that way.  My homemade chili is pretty average, but I think I would like it with a little more kick to it.  I enjoy topping my chili with corn chips, cheese, and sour cream. I also like to eat it plain with a good piece of regular or Mexican cornbread.

Would you describe yourself as a night owl? What time of night qualifies? What are you doing while everyone else is asleep? Do you then 'sleep in'? Define 'sleeping in'. 

No, I'm more of an early bird.  Although I don't get up nearly as early as I used to when I work at the YMCA, I'm more accustomed to getting up early.  I occasionally sleep in until around 7:00 or 8:00 a.m. if I've not slept well the night before or if I'm not feeling well.

Insert your own random thought here.

In case you missed it:  

*My last Hodgepodge post, "Memories of Resilience," is here.
*My latest Five Minute Friday post "Purpose v. 2.0," is here.
*My latest Simple Woman's Daybook "A Buggy Full of Lemons," is here.
*My latest Auntie's Workshop post "Finishing and Fixing III," is here.
*My latest 2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge review of Love Does, is here.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers. I live in Birmingham, AL which is much smaller than Denver and I have to agree . . the difference in our Sunday morning drive vs my weekday traffic is significant and it does look like a ghost town (highway)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to read that your church is still meeting in person. I love those drives when the roads are more peaceful Happy Hodgepodge to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post. I'll have to look up a recipe for Mexican cornbread next time I make chili.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to agree that calming drives are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm an early bird for sure, but wish I could be both. haha!

    ReplyDelete