Friday, March 19, 2021

Five Minute Friday: "Redeem."

Ephesians 1:6-7 (KJV) - To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace.

Redeem - save (someone) from sin, error, or evil.

Many people, including Christians, think the word sin is harsh and heavy. However, to me the word itself is freedom when fully understood.  Yes, sin is "missing the mark," a "defect of character," but most importantly it is rebellion against God--a rebellion against His perfect love.  When I tiptoe around sinful actions and thoughts by not calling them what they are, I leave Jesus out of the equation.  Instead of leaning on the sacrifice of Christ, I lean on my own power, which always leads to minimizing, justifying, or hiding sin--which isn't freedom at all, but more bondage.  Knowing what sin is (and isn't), openly exposing it to God through confession and repentance (I John 1:9), rather than it exposing itself to others and ruing relationships (Numbers 32:23) brings true freedom and spiritual renewal (Acts 3:19-20).

Job 19:25 (NIV) - "I know that my redeemer lives."


1 comment:

  1. I placed myself in dim dark thrall
    to the power that I thought I had,
    but really did not have at all;
    now, doesn't that sound really mad?
    I tiptoed round that old word 'sin'
    and thought I could escape
    its clutches, and my freedom win,
    Superman without a cape.
    And Jesus went and shook His head,
    beholding such a fool,
    lying on a self-made bed,
    but did not ridicule
    and began His work to save
    this dimwit from a shallow grave.

    ReplyDelete