Monday, December 7, 2020

Tidings of Comfort and Angst: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

 
For Today: Monday, December 7, 2020

Looking Out My Window ... I've been working for the past few weeks on decorations for my apartment.  For this Christmas season, I am done decorating.  As time and budget allow, I'll try to add something new each year. My neighbors are already enjoying them.









 
I am Thinking...
  • About what to do about Christmas.  Since everyone is scared to pee without a permit from the government, even a small gathering seems out of the question.  How do you spread Christmas cheer like this?  Like I said here, I'm done with trying to find any joy for myself in this season of government mandated solitary confinement and media-perpetuated fear, but I'll be hanged if I'm going to be stopped from bringing a smile to someone else's face.
I am Thankful... I may not get everything listed in this post, but I have been overwhelmed with thankfulness.  It's not necessarily big things, but a lot of small blessings from God that have overflowed in my life.
  • For Colorado Community Church's lovely Thanksgiving Eve service
  • For a lovely Thanksgiving day with a family from work.
  • For a co-worker's negative test results for cancer.
  • For an amicable solution to a problem that had been plaguing me for weeks.
  • For some wonderful times of prayer and fellowship with God.
  • For my nephew, George's completion of truck driving school and the obtaining of his CDL license.  I'm a proud Auntie.

From the Workshop...  

The latest "Get 'er Done Art Challenge" post is here.  

#5 in the Dollar Tree challenge is here.

Since moving to Colorado, every year, I try to find an ornament that kind of represents the year.  The other day, I went over to Diana's to make some creations with her Cricut.  I decided to make a set of Advent ornaments for my tree (plus a bonus ornament.  Each one represents the focus of each week of Advent--all of which we need a truckload supply of right now. 


I got a pack of wooden ornaments and some holiday-themed scrapbook paper from hobby-lobby (I'm temporarily off restriction, remember?).  I glued the paper to the ornaments, then glued the cut out letters and shapes to the paper.  After they dried, I coated the paper with homemade Mod-Podge.  I took my gold paint pen and colored the top of the ornament, added a ribbon, and there you go.

From Auntie's Test Kitchen... Nothing new at the moment.

I am Reading...  

Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
The Four Loves by C. S. Lewis
On Prayer and the Contemplative Life by Thomas Aquinas
God With Us:  Reflections on the Incarnation by Charles Spurgeon
Faith Outside the Lines by Rebecca List-Bergeron

Completed volumes since my last Daybook:

  1. The Message:  The Bible in Contemporary Language translated by Eugene Peterson.
  2. Thirsty for God by Bradley P. Holt.
  3. As a Man Thinketh by James Allen.
  4. The Sunflower by Simon Wiesenthal
  5. An Experiment in Criticism by C. S. Lewis
  6. The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis
  7. Conspiracy of Kindness by Steve Sjogren
  8.  A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis
  9. God is in the Manger by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Favorite Quote(s) of the Week ...

"What's the opposite of homemade sin? Storebought sin? Do they sell it on Black Friday? If so, somebody bring me some. I'm fresh out." - Auntie's Musings 11/28/14

"When you have to be told a word's offensive, and nobody knew it beforehand, that means it wasn't offensive. Don't know if y'all know that." - Greg Burgess

Now For Something Totally Different ...

Five Minute Friday word of the week:  Cancel.


 









  





 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment