Wednesday, August 19, 2020

4th and Five: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!
Add caption

Five years ago this month hubs and I relocated from New Jersey to the Palmetto State. What were you doing five years ago this month?

Five years ago this month, I was in the throws of my new job at the YMCA and continuing to try to get my life and health on track.

What was the last 9-5 job you worked? Tell us about it.

The fact that it is assumed that those of us who answer these questions wouldn't still have a 9-5 job is telling.  My current job is an hourly 9-5 job.  No, I won't be there forever (Lord willing), but I do enjoy my work.

Plead the fifth, high five, take five, it's five o'clock somewhere, or the big 5-0...which number five phrase relates to your life in some way currently? Tell us how.

The big 5-0 is two years away for me.  I'm looking forward to it and trying to add some adventure on the way.  Some of you have probably already seen my 50 for fifty list, but if not, you can take a gander.

During this season of spending so much time at home, what distractions get in the way of being your most productive? Or have you been extra productive since this whole thing started?

Spending so much time at home has been the most distracting to my productivity.

Give us a list here of your top five anything.

Top five YouTube shows I'm watching:
1.  Good Mythical Morning.
2. Dope or Nope.
3. This Southern Girl Can.
4. Get Good Gaming.
5. Moriah Elizabeth.

Insert your own random thought here.

I got some news I didn't want.  My mother went home to be with the Lord today (Tuesday).  She was 87.  I plan to fly out to Alabama this weekend.  This is not how I wanted to go home. 

I believe God was preparing me for this though I didn't expect it (He knows it all, right?).  I have a class project I'm working on that asks us to do a word study on a particular passage of Scripture from a list provided by the instructor.  This is the scripture I chose almost a month ago:

Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage one another with these words (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 NIV).

I need these words more than ever.

In case you're interested:
* My latest Simple Woman's Daybook is here

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers and I was saddened to see that your mom had passed. My mom passed away five years ago... you never quite get over losing your mother. ((hugs)) to you in this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do have the comfort of knowing our parting isn't a goodbye--it's I'll see you later.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. May you feel God's peace and presence as you travel home. I am so grateful we do not grieve without hope. Also, just want to add I hope the question didn't imply there's anything wrong with a 9-5 job. Lots of Hodgepodgers work all sorts of jobs or no job at all. I was using that expression 9-5 more as a phrase. I was a teacher and would call that a 9-5 although it was many hours beyond that amount. Many people answering who were/are also teachers don't call that a 9-5. Always interesting to see how these questions go in many directions each week : ) Hugs to you in this hard season of loss on top of an already hard season. Take care.

    ReplyDelete