Tuesday, April 9, 2019

I Do Science: Experiment #2: Mixed Nuts [My Mythical Year] [101 in 1001 v. 2]


See my post here for more information on My Mythical Year.

For this badge, I decided to conduct two experiments.  This is the second.  For experiment #1, click here.


Though I grew up in a very racially charged, ethnically segregated Southern town, I had the benefit of living near a military base.  Children who've experienced the military life usually came from or experienced various cultures and they were an integral part of our schools.  Sharing in that helped me love what a beautiful kaleidoscope diversity and acceptance truly are.

I've known since I understood the concept of race, that I was of mixed heritage.  Our family has traditionally believed that we were part African American and part Native American.  No one really knew.  Though we could trace my mom's side of the family back for several generations, for various reasons we couldn't do the same for my father's side.  Since there was no DNA technology at the time, we simply took what we were told on face value.

Years ago, when DNA testing became accessible to the public, rather than just some hocus-pocus from the O. J. trial, I considered purchasing a kit.  However, I was listening to a podcast about it and the host made it a shaming pawn.  Unfortunately, he wasn't the only one interpreting it that way.  I really don't understand how or why someone would take such a wonderful thing and turn it into hatred or derision for other races to make people feel ashamed of what they are.

Anyway...

Someone who knew I was interested in having this test done bought me an Ancestry DNA kit as an early birthday present.  Usually, it takes 6-8 weeks to receive the results.  However, my "Mutt Report" was ready in less than a month.

According to the results, I am approximately 2/3 African, and 1/3 European Caucasian  with about 1% Native American thrown in.  The findings also reveal that my African American ancestry is part of the Early Virginia Community--most likely slaves brought from Africa to Virginia. 

Hey, I've always joked that I was a white woman trapped in a black woman's body.  Well, according to the findings, that's kind of true.


So how do I feel about this?  The same as I felt before I got the results--great!  The one thing about myself of which I never felt shame was my multiracial heritage.  This test changes none of that.  It felt great to finally know something concrete about myself.  It felt freeing to be proud of all the parts of me.  So, if you're white, I got you.  If you're black, I got you.  If you're pretty much anything else, I got you.  I AM every woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment