Wednesday, January 9, 2019

State of Shock: The Wednesday Medley


Thanks to Terri from
Your Friend From Florida
for the Medley questions.


It may be a little shocking, but National Static Electricity Day is January 9!!  Here are some things to avoid!
 
How to Avoid the Shock of Static Electricity
  • The drier air of winter months is a better insulator than the more humid air of summer.  To help prevent static electricity, use a humidifier to put moister back into the air in your home during the winter months.
  • Our skin is drier in the winter months, too.  Putting on moisturizer before getting dressed is recommended.
  • Synthetic fabrics are better insulators than natural fibers. Wearing materials made from natural fibers such as cotton will help reduce the amount of static electricity that’s stirred up.
  • While walking around the house, at work or shopping, holding a key or a metal pen in your hand will help discharge the build-up of static electricity painlessly.
  • Switching to leather soled shoes versus rubber-soled shoes will help reduce the amount of static that is built up.

Do you often get shocked often when you touch metal?

I have often joked that my superpower is the ability to shock the snot out of myself on anything (or anybody), metal or not, dry air or not, wearing natural fibers and leather-soled shoes or not.  I'm hoping I can find a way to harness this power for good instead of the evil pain it brings me and others.
 
There are actually two "National" days worthy of mention! It is also National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day.  Our men and women working in many areas of law enforcement put their lives on the line for us daily.  Do you know someone working in law enforcement who you can thank today?
 
Unfortunately, no.  Blake, one of my former students, is from a law enforcement family.  His father was (and my still be) an Alabama State Trooper.  His older brother was an Anniston City Police officer who was killed in the line of duty.  My sister, Clara, and I were just talking about them the other day.  His parent's home was severely damaged in the tornado that tore through Jacksonville last year. 

At our house right now it is all about football.  Joe's Philadelphia Eagles barely won their game on Sunday to move forward in the playoffs and another chance to play in the Super Bowl this year.  Do you have a favorite team in the playoffs or does football make you yawn?  Is there a Super Bowl party in your future, no matter the teams playing?

NFL football is not currently on my radar.  The problem is, I live in the midst of Broncos country, but the team is awful (plus their team colors look too much like Auburn University).  Yes, they just fired their coach, but I think whoever's hired as the new coach needs to fire many (if not all) of the players.  If I wanted to watch a bar room brawl, I'd go to a bar.  Sheesh!  Another factor is that I'm more in tune with college football.  Sadly, all of my college football teams are done for the year; Jacksonville State lost in the second round of the FCS playoffs, and Alabama just lost to Clemson in the CFP (formerly BCS) championship.  So, Major League Baseball is the next sport on my radar.


Speaking of parties, there is always lots of food at parties I attend.  Tell us a weird food combination that you really enjoy (or have enjoyed).  It doesn't have to be party food.

Occasionally I like to mix sliced black olives with cottage cheese and eat it with a spoon.  It helps keep me away from junk food when I'm craving something salty.

Since we are on games and parties, what game have you spent the most hours playing?

Words with Friends.

Tell us something random about your week so far.
  • At the close of the year, I earned my "Be Kind, Rewind" Mythical Merit Badge.
  • After a restful two week break, I'm glad to be back at work.  I feel like 2019 will be a great year for me and for the university.

No comments:

Post a Comment