Thursday, November 22, 2018

40 Days of Throwback Thanks: Day 01 [My Mythical Year]

See my post here for more information on My Mythical Year.
 

40 Days of Throwback Thanks


I know that I don't do this blog prompt every year, but it seems necessary this year.  It seems that more than ever, people are rushing through Thanksgiving to get to the Christmas season.  Gratitude isn't merely as season; it should be a way of life.  The Bible plainly states that refusing to be grateful is the indicator of a very unhealthy spiritual life (Romans 1:20-32).  A plethora of articles state the benefits of gratitude on the mind and body (for an example, check out this blurb from Shape magazine). 

I, for one, want to buck the trend and take gratitude from Thanksgiving, through Christmas, to the end of 2018.

This year, I'm changing up my 40 days of gratitude a little.  Along with finding daily (or at least semi-daily) reasons to be grateful, I'm including a "Throwback Thanks" section to declare gratitude for people or situations from my past.  I hope y'all enjoy.

Day 01:

I'm thankful for...
  • ...the beautiful sunrise.  It was one of those skies full of pinks and blues that looks like God painted it with watercolors.
  • ...being able to eat eggs again.  As I talked about here, I found out the hard way that Teflon gives eggs a horrible aftertaste.  I purchased a Lodge cast iron skillet last week and thoroughly enjoyed my scrambled eggs this morning.  Yum!
  • ...thankful for my new friends, John and Laura O'melia and their sons Sean and Kevin.  Laura and  I met through the Leading Ladies group at CCU.  At our last meeting, she invited me for Thanksgiving dinner.  It was a time of great food, laughter, and conversation.  Because I just came back from a trip home, I would have been fine with spending the holiday alone, but this invitation made it extra special.
Today's Throwback Thanks goes to Marquet Harris and Freda Curry:
Thank you both for being willing to befriend me when my parents and I moved to Jacksonville in 1978.  You never knew how scared and lonely I was as a six year old in a new place with new scary people I had to deal with.  Who knows where I'd have ended up if you hadn't included me and even occasionally defended me as we grew up.  I know we only see each other on social media, but both of you mean a great deal to me.  I love y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment