Friday, April 21, 2017

G is for Garlic Ginger, and Good Stir Fry [A-Z Blog Challenge 2015]



Experiments From Auntie's Test Kitchen

Intro  A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Conclusion

                                                                                                                    

G is for Garlic, Ginger, and Good Stir Fry
Ok, I felt I needed to redeem myself from the last stir fry disaster (letter P above) by sharing my favorite "go to" recipe.  Unlike my experiment, this stir fry is quite tasty, plus, it's really hard to mess up.
Ingredients:
  • Chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces.
  • Your favorite fresh vegetables, diced, or, what I use, frozen vegetable mixes.  My favorites are Great Value's Broccoli Stir Fry and Sugar Snap Pea Stir Fry
  • A clove of garlic, minced...well, I don't know how to mince it correctly.  I smack it with the knife and cut it up like the cooking shows tell you, but I don't ever get as fine a mince as they do on TV.  So, we'll call it "finely chopped."
  • Your favorite spices to your taste.  I use rubbed sage, Italian seasoning mix, ground ginger, and salt.
  • About 1/4 cup Teriyaki Sauce (maybe).  Sorry, I'm southern and we don't measure stuff in our own recipes.  It's kind of like how we make potato salad--we mix ingredients until it "looks right."
  • A couple of tablespoons olive oil or sesame oil.  Tastes good with either one.

Instructions:
  • Heat your oil on high (or whatever works on your stove) in a wok or skillet.  Add the garlic and cook until it just starts to brown.  DON'T BURN IT OR THE WHOLE DISH WILL BE NASTY!  Been there, done that, ate it anyway.  If you burn it, wash the pot and start over.
  • Lower the heat slightly. Add the cut up chicken, toss it in the oil and garlic.  Add your spices.  After the chicken starts to cook (it starts to turn from pink to white on the outside) add the teriyaki sauce.  Completely cook the chicken.  This takes maybe 10-15 minutes.
  • Add the frozen vegetables.  Toss them with the sauce and chicken.  If it doesn't look quite right, add a little more spice and sauce.  Cook the vegetables to your desired doneness.
  • Serve over rice, quinoa (whatever the heck that is), noodles, or my preference, "as is."
Looks better than that last mess I made, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment