Sunday, September 20, 2026

It's Fall, Y'all (Maybe): The Weekly Digest


Getting outside....

Took a walk at Union Square Park a couple of weeks back to catch the summer floral beauty before it's all gone.  
 
Goldenrod

Pincushion flowers

Black-eyed Susans

Magenta Beardtongue 

Hollyhock

Purple Beardtongue 


 
I plan to have all this pictures printed and put in a photo album.  They will be so cheerful to look at (and possibly paint) during the winter months.

Favorite quote(s) of the week... 

May the Lord God preserve you and watch over you, may you feel victory and dominion over all that is contrary to Him, and may you triumph over all that stands in the way of your fellowship with him. - Isaac Penington, Quoted in Devotional Classics (Edited by Foster & Smith), p. 209.   
 
How the earthly father would love a child who would creep into his room with angry, troubled face, and sit down at his feet, saying when asked what he wanted: “I feel so naughty, papa, and I want to get good”! Would he say to his child: “How dare you! Go away, and be good, and then come to me?” And shall we dare to think God would send us away if we came thus, and would not be pleased that we came, even if we were angry as Jonah? Would we not let all the tenderness of our nature flow forth upon such a child? And shall we dare to think that if we being evil know how to give good gifts to our children, God will not give us his own spirit when we come to ask him? - George MacDonald, Unspoken Sermons: Series 1, Chapter 9. 
 
I'm thinking about...  

Too much, yet too little.  Yep, the marshmallow is back.


 

 

 

 

 

What I've read since my last digest... 

  • Unspoken Sermons:  Series 2 by George MacDonald ✮✮✮1/2 (Category:  My Inklings Summer).
  • A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle ✮✮✮1/2 (Category:  Kiddie Lit).
  • Anne Bradstreet and Phillis Wheatley:   The Lives and Legacies of Colonial America's Most Prominent Poets by Charles River Editors. 1/2  See my Goodreads comments here.
I'm currently reading...
  • Unspoken Sermons:  Series 3 by George MacDonald
  • Galahad and the Grail by Malcolm Guite

My current "crock pot" reads (slow and steady reads that will take a while):  

  • Diary of an Old Soul by George MacDonald 
  • The Mind of the Maker by Dorothy L. Sayers 
  • The Courage to Create by Rollo May  

Recent blog posts... 

  • Last Train to Tuscaloosa:  The Weekly Digest and Hodgepodge is here. 
  • Five Minute Friday:  "Lazy." is here. 
  • My "2026 Baby Got Stacks" reading challenge is here.  (Updated regularly).  
  • My "26 for 2026" challenge is here. (Updated regularly)
  • My "26 for 2026" art challenge is here.  (Updated regularly). 

From the Workshop... 

See my latest Monday Mess Making post "Create This Book - 01" here. 
 
I am thankful for...

  • Store apps that correctly show the aisle where an item is located.
  • The Hobby-Lobby and Wal-Mart I frequent now have tap-to-pay card readers.  Your turn, King Soopers.
  • Real fall weather (so far).
  • A good speaker at our recent campus-wide staff and faculty meeting.
  • A new bird call I've learned to recognize on my walks:  the Red-breasted Nuthatch.
  • A new pack of good pens for journaling. 
  • The groundskeepers at the university keeping the campus so beautiful. 

 









No comments:

Post a Comment