Monday, July 16, 2012

Manic Monday: Jillian Michaels Talks Mindless Eating.

Y'all know that I'm a fan of The Biggest Loser. Former Biggest Loser trainer Jillian Michaels has a video podcast called "Daily Dose."  Although I don't agree with or support everything that she does or says, I find that she does have some good nuggets of advice.  And since she is a professional trainer and I am not (YET), I will share her content with you from time to time.   The steps she gave a caller in the video below is a very good way to begin to deal with emotional or mindless eating.


07/16/15 - Well, as you can see, Ms. Michaels has made this video "private."  Thanks, Jill, that's really going to help a lot of people.

Anyway...

To reiterate:
  • Look for cues that you really are hungry:  When was the last time I ate? Do I have physical signs of hunger?
  • If the answer is yes, prepare a proper meal and sit down to consume it.
  • If the answer is no, identify the emotions associated with your desire to eat.  Then, create a series of behaviors that are not food related. 
The steps I plan to implement are:
  1. Only eat at the dining table.  I have tendency to eat EVERYWHERE.  The only place in my apartment I haven't eaten is the bathroom (ew, that's gross).  Well, and not at the clothesline, but I can't eat and hang laundry at the same time.  :)
  2. Create a series of behaviors that aren't food related for when I'm craving:
    1. Pray
    2. Crochet
    3. Take a walk (either outside or inside walking DVD)
    4. Write a letter (yes, I still write letters)
    5. Read a book
    6. Find some social interaction
Well, that's a start.

So, what did you get out of this?  See any step you might want to take?
 
UPDATE: Jillian is back on The Biggest Loser  (yay!), but Daily Dose is no longer being produced (boo!), but the old episodes are still on YouTube.

UPDATE #2 (06/16): Jillian left The Biggest Loser AGAIN.  Not sure if Daily Dose is available any more.  I think the well's run dry, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment