Thursday, April 19, 2018

I is for I Don't Think We Got the Tools Here to Pull This Off [A-Z Blog Challenge 2015]



Experiments From Auntie's Test Kitchen

Intro  A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Conclusion

                                                                                                                    

I is for I Don't Think We Got the Tools Here to Pull This Off 

The title is taken from a comedy album from Rick and Bubba.  It's a line from this segment (around 4:25 in).

Since last we met, Auntie's Test Kitchen has moved 1400 miles west.  I'm in a new apartment in Lakewood, Colorado with a completely different kitchen and tools to work with.  One change is I'm retraining myself to use a traditional electric stove rather than a flat rangetop.  Another is that I'm starting over with proper kitchen tools.
One of the most annoying trends in recipes, whether written or video instruction, is the assumption that certain tools make a successful recipe.  I mean, seriously, you can't make a Paula Deen or Rachel Ray recipe unless you have their pots, pans, utensils, etc?  I. Think. Not.  Yeah, I know they want to sell their products, but hey, I'm on a very tight budget.
The only cookbook I own is a 20 year old Betty Crocker cookbook.  The majority of my recipes are collected from various sources, plus I make up a few of my own.  This particular recipe is one I saved from an old Alabama Power Electric bill.  It's called "Three Envelope Roast."
The only ingredients are:
  • 1 chuck roast (approximately 3 pounds)
  • 1 envelope dry Zesty Italian Dressing mix
  • 1 envelope dry Ranch Dressing mix
  • 1 envelope dry brown gravy mix
  • 2 cups of water

Looks easy so far.  However, the first stumbling block is that the recipe requires you to have a slow cooker.  At the time I made this recipe, I didn't have one.  OK, well the recipe can be adapted to a roasting pan with a lid.  Nope, don't have one of those either.  What about a Dutch Oven?  A what?  Well, what DO you have?

I've got a cookie sheet, a glass baking dish and some aluminum foil. 

The directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees (since I didn't have a slow cooker).
  • Combine the dry ingredients with the water and mix thoroughly. 
  • Brown the roast if you'd like (I didn't).
  • Place the roast in your pan and pour the liquid mixture over the roast.  Since my baking pan is shallow, I couldn't use all of the liquid at first.  About midway through the cooking time, the roast shank enough and enough liquid evaporated for me to pour the rest in without making a mess.
  • Cover and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1.50 to 2.50 hours until desired doneness.  My desired doneness is well done.  I don't like my beef mooing at me before I eat it.
Looks good to me.
Now, for sides.

I decided to have carrots, Brussels sprouts, and mashed potatoes. 

Did you know that you can steam carrots in the microwave?  Yep, instead of the complicated cooking instructions for carrots involving a lot of sugar, I sprinkle a little water over a serving of baby carrots, lightly cover, and microwave for about 3 minutes.  They come out done, delicious, and naturally sweet.

Not burnt or raw, but
missing something...
like flavor
As far as the Brussels sprouts, I've not figured out the perfect recipe for those yet (I think I'm going to need some bacon for this one).  However, I do know they need to be blanched (boiled a little bit) before stir frying, otherwise I either get burnt or raw.  I sautéed these in olive oil with some peppers and onions. 

Well, it worked,
didn't it?
Now, on to the mashed potatoes.  This should be simple, peel the potatoes, cut up the potatoes, rinse the potatoes, boil them for about 15-20 minutes, mash them up, add whatever extras you'd like (butter, salt, a little milk, and some garlic powder), and enjoy.  Yeah, it should be simple, until I realized the my new vegetable peeler won't peel anything and I don't have a potato masher.  My mother can continuously peel a potato with a knife without breaking the skin.  I can't do that.  When I knife-peel potatoes, I'm thrilled when there's actually potato left.  Granted, my sharp Ikea paring knife did just fine--even in my hands.  Yes, I will admit I cut myself with this knife trying to remove it from the packaging AND a couple of times when I was taking it out of the dishwasher.  Anyway, the potatoes did get peeled, rinsed, diced, and boiled.  Now, on to the mashing.  After nearly breaking a plastic mixing spoon, I found that a clean coffee mug does an adequate job of mashing potatoes. 

So let's dish this up and make it pretty.

Yum, yum!










Yes, I'll buy more "proper" utensils and tools when I can finally leave my house without an act of congress or having to endure the Weed Wagon--Denver's public transportation system.  However, proper doesn't mean certain expensive brands--it simply means what will get the job done.

So, are there any recipes you've made that turned out well despite not having the "proper" tools?

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good! Thank you for sharing your recipe. I'm going to have to try it. My crock cracked and we haven't replaced it yet. Last time I tried to make pot roast it was SO dry. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one won't be dry at all, and the gravy it makes is really good. Try it. Let me know how you like it.

      Delete