Wednesday, May 22, 2019

O is for Oatmeal [A-Z Blog Challenge 2015]


Experiments From Auntie's Test Kitchen

Intro  A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Conclusion

                                                                                                                    

O is for Oatmeal

I grew up eating oatmeal, but it was the flavored kind.  From childhood through early adulthood, I'd prepare several packs of this already sugared-up version with more sugar and margarine (butter was too expensive), and go to town.

Now, with so many options, including the over-hyped, over-priced steel cut oats, I've been trying to find a way to make oatmeal that tastes good, but isn't loaded with sugar.  I've attempted so many variations of oatmeal using milk, nuts, honey, and various fruits--none of them really satisfying.   I got this recipe from my niece and thought I'd give it a try.


Easy and Healthy Banana Oat Pancakes
Recipe by Alida Ryder
Original recipe is here.
Ingredients
  • 2 bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • maple syrup to serve (optional)
  • fresh fruit of your choice to serve 
Instructions
  1. In a blender, combine the peeled banana, eggs, oats, baking powder and salt.
  2. Allow to blend until the mixture is as smooth as you want it and blended well. Allow the batter to stand for 10-20 minutes until thickened slightly.
  3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
  4. Fry spoonfuls of the batter until golden brown on both sides.
  5. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and/or fresh fruit of your choice.
What I learned
  • She doesn't say to, but I'd slice the banana before putting it in the blender.
  • Don't let the batter stand too long, or it will be too thick to pour.  If it takes twenty minutes for the batter to thicken properly, your baking powder is old.  Throw it out and get a new can.
  • Be patient.  When she says to cook them over medium heat, she means it.  Any hotter and they will burn on the outside and be raw in the inside.

All in all, I really liked these pancakes.  Because of the amount of banana, they are really sweet.  Later, I may try using one banana mixed with a fruit that isn't so sweet and see how that turns out. 

I would call this recipe a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment